Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Food Issues

You could say I've had a few food related issues lately... Let me tell you a few quick stories before I loose the internet connection AGAIN and throw the computer out the window :0)

Cindy's Diner
Cindy's Diner is a 1950's American Style diner with your typical Burgers, Fries, Coke (Curry Chicken Sandwich). Anyway, I was being cranky, so Mike took me for some comfort food. Uh, no. You can see that I was so excited that I paused to take a photo of the food, but I was in for a suprise... Gomer Pyle style "Sur-prise, sur-prise, sur-prise!" Mind you, the food isn't bad, it's just different. The meat had been seasoned to taste like a very strong "wurst" and I was only able to get through about 3/4 of it. We gobbled up all of the fries and they didn't even charge us extra for the Ketschup!

Apple "Pie"
This might look like an Apple Pie, but trust me, thats about as far as it goes. The filling turned out like apple sauce. Apparently I need to work on the German word for "crisp" so that I can more accurately describe what I'm looking for at the market. There is also a difference between American style vanilla extract (as called for in the recipe) and European style vanilla-bourbon... and I stubbed my toe with the salt. I also need to skip refrigerated dough section at the grocery. Torte crust seems to be tougher than pie crust. The next one will be MUCH better!


Schoggiweggli
My friends, this make all food issues a NON-issue. Mike and I saw a toddler walking down the street yesterday trying to cram the whole thing in her mouth at the same time... and it was a big as her face! Her eyes were sort of glazed over and she had no idea what was going on past the sweet roll. Of course she had a chocolate grin that stretched from ear-to-ear! This makes everything O.K.!!!!! If you want to know how to make them, follow this link.
http://rhid-baked.blogspot.com/2008/04/chocolate-studded-swiss-sweet-buns-from.html
The photo is from my favorite Schoggiweggli stop, Sutter Bakery http://www.sutterbegg.com/.

No comments: