Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Welcome to my Life Abroad


Greetings from Basel! A week ago today, Mike and I flew to Switzerland. We are finally in our apartment, but a lot has happened in the past few days.

We rented an SUV from Hertz and drove from Tampa to the Orlando airport. The movers were 5.5 hours late on Monday, so our schedule was totally messed up and we ended up keeping the SUV for an extra hour... which of course means that we were charged for an extra day! It was a gorgeous day for a drive across the state and the traffic was very manageable.

We met with Mike's financial planner folks at the airport. It's a little bit of a blur right now, but that reminds me that I need to extend the contract on the Post Box in St Petersburg... Add that to my to-do list.

The flight from Orlando to Tampa was memorable. We had booked our flights on short notice because our Visas had been rushed through the system. We were assigned seats on the plane only at check-in and although we were in the same row, Mike was on the isle near the window and I was the meat in a soda-bread sandwich. A nice Irish family switched seats with us so that Mike and I could sit together. Then the screaming started. I would guess the little darling was about 3 years old and that she SCREAMED (not cried) about 80% of the flight. The flight was bumpy for about 15 to 20 minutes around Maine, but we landed safely all the same.

And wow were we tired! Mike didn't sleep on the flight at all, so I found a spot in the airport where we could eat and Mike could get a little bit of sleep. The flight from Dublin to Zurich was only an hour and 45 minutes. Everything runs just like clockwork... like a fine Swiss timepiece. We got off of the plane, walked through immigrations, collected our bags almost immediately (they came off the belt together!), breezed through customs. Then to the platform for the Train to Basel and **POOF** we are off to our new home.

We caught a taxi from the the Basel Train Station (SBB) to our hotel. We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Merian Spitz for the first few days until our temporary apartment became available. The picture above is from our the balcony of our hotel room. I'm sure we had dinner that night, but I dont remember where. I do know that we slept very well.
OK, its time to go out into the city and find something to eat. Ciao!

2 comments:

kathi lou said...

Cara, Saw your Mom this morning at church. She said to check out your blog. It is a hoot! Sounds like you are really getting an education or giving them one! She also gave me your e-mail address. Hope all is well. I know she misses you, but she is happy you are happy. That is what it is all about! Hang in there. Love, Kathi

CaraRose1977 said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4dWJplJdM